ako.

My photo
I surround myself with the pretty and the meaningful. This blog is an endeavor to capture and share those moments.

Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Discovery of A Local Haunt.


The vote took place around a high table. It was a Saturday night and the three women alternated between hushed tones reserved for sharing compassionate advice as they worked through scenarios and hypotheticals and frequent but seemingly intermittent bursts of laughter. It was a meeting where the friends would make an influential decision and a tradition would be established. As is often the case when discussing matters of great importance, there was gin. "All those in favor of this being our local hangout raise your hands". It was unanimous-Andy's, the bar on First Ave that serves sweet potato french fries, would be our neighborhood purlieu. (I'm going through a French phase).

There is enough empty space and sharp corners. Large canvases of abstract art are hung squarely on the walls and the music in the background is the kind that if identified, earns you cool points. By definition, this bar should be a hipster hot spot. But the young and painstakingly fashionable crowd must be ordering their Tom Collins elsewhere. Cristie jested that it was too far west to walk over from the Baby Bar-a small space overrun with big egos. Aside from the decor, the atmosphere is surprisingly laid-back as the regulars are too at ease to concern themselves with that pretentious mishegaas.

The atmosphere is probably the most important aspect to me. I tend to suggest, advocate, plead and cajole for the rowdy pub over a place that could be referred to as part of the scene or a lounge. I like a low-key, high volume place. When I lived on the lower South Hill my beloved choice to drag my friends to was the PI (Public House Inn). It offers baskets of popcorn on the worn wood tables and a Golden Tee in the corner. Large television screens are hung on the walls amidst beer garlands and flags. I've heard it referred to as a dive bar. But that's inaccurate. It isn't even dirty. The clientele just seems to prefer pitchers of beer over martinis. I rarely make it over to that side of town anymore because it is easier to go somewhere closer. Which illustrates another contributing factor to Andy's getting the vote-located on the fringe of downtown near the Browne's Addition end, it is in close proximity to everyone in the group's home sweet apartments.

The first night we loitered there as a group we spent hours entertaining one another with stories from our childhoods-of our sisters trying to flush us down the toilet, of cutting our grandmother's hair when we were supposed to be napping-of getting into general mischief whenever an adults back was turned. I laugh often but I will say that I have never had a sore throat from laughing so hard. From the beginning it was a place of enjoyment.

I think I can narrow the particulars necessary for a good haunt: atmosphere, proximity, memories and product (and really as long as a place has a quality gin and a few ambers on tap, that will do for me).

So this all leads me to wonder: Where are your local hangouts? What are the particulars that drew you to it? Did you formalize it with your friends or just happen to end up there every week?

-ako

3 comments:

  1. I haven't been to this place yet. I pass it almost every day on my way to school. I saw it materialize from the "for lease" sign to a sandwich shop to the "hang out" it is now.

    I don't know how certain places get to be "the place" with friends. I have one friend when we go to lunch we always seem to end up at Northern Lights. Another with whom we end up at David's Pizza. With friends for drinks, though, it usually depends on the mood -- fancy it is always the Peacock Room, not fancy, usually the Elk.

    You've raised an intersting quesion about how a place becomes a hangout for certain people. It is worth pondering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The atmosphere is probably the most important aspect to me." -Agreed

    "I tend to suggest, advocate, plead and cajole for the rowdy pub over a place that could be referred to as part of the scene or a lounge."

    Agree to strongly disagree. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan, you would be so proud of me. I found a whiskey I enjoy drinking on the rocks, Pendleton! It's actually distilled in Canada, which made me also think of you. I guess we've come a long way from the days of sitting around Ella's with me taking a sip off a Manhattan and quickly pushing it into your hands! :)

    ReplyDelete