ako.

My photo
I surround myself with the pretty and the meaningful. This blog is an endeavor to capture and share those moments.

Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Great Escape.


I have a confession: I love moving. Planning the intricacies involved and coordinating the logistics of uprooting and rearranging my life brings me great joy. In fact, Moving Day is second in anticipation only to Christmas in my world. The sight of duct tape reinforced boxes with permanent marker scrawled labels gets my heart pumping because it means that something new awaits. My moving crew (also known as my loving family and willing but grumbling friends) do not share in the festivities. I'm almost certain that my grandparents have the day my lease ends marked on their calendar. One to two months prior, I become consumed searching for new, larger and better apartments with more amenities and researching the surrounding area.

My lease this time around actually expired in April. I'm still put. At times it makes me a little uneasy. But I rather like my home sweet apartment and adore my charming neighborhood, Browne's Addition. I also find that my family has been rather clever about intensifying my bond to my current place as my grandparents recently came into town to make some renovations and additions to the decor. As my gpa was putting up floating shelves in my living area, he slyly brought up the idea of me signing a contract to stay put for a few months after all the effort that has gone into my most recent place. But no worries. I'm not going anywhere this summer. Did you see that hefty to do list I posted? Besides I love Spokane summers and am not quite ready to say goodbye to my wonderful friends here.

However, as I have been spring cleaning, purging things I don't adore enough to move with me to the next place, I can tell I am making mental notes of what will go and what will stay behind. I am more cognizant of the sunrises that I watch through my large living room window as I drink my coffee in the mornings--I will miss that. That's five minutes of peaceful bliss in my day.

And this time it isn't a move from the lower South Hill to Browne's in the works. It's out of our little city that I know so well (and love and loathe it for that reason) to a new location with many places to explore and new friends and memories to incorporate in my life.




I was reminded of my intense desire to live in a large city when Cristie and I spent a couple of days in Seattle a couple of weeks ago. We bravely took the Greyhound over departing at 1:25 in the morning and stayed overnight in the Bate's Motel. (Actually it turned out to be clean and safe despite the appearance of it belonging on a slasher set). Being only a couple blocks from downtown, it provided the perfect location for us to set out exploring unique local clothing boutiques and the larger chain stores as well. We were able to walk to the concert we went over for, Cobra Starship/3OH!3/Travis McCoy/& a new band to me, I Fight Dragons. So much to do and see! I scheduled drinks with a friend and accidentally and happily ran into an old buddy at Top Pot over coffee and donuts.


See the great thing about having fun everywhere I live and appreciating every day as an opportunity to create enchanting memories is that no matter where I am, I will find something entertaining to do. I still have to go on the chocolate run, float the river and complete my summer to do list here in Spokompton but then it will be my time to move on (hopefully and sadly before winter).

The bustling excitement of my beloved Portland is calling. I'll keep everyone updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment