ako.

My photo
I surround myself with the pretty and the meaningful. This blog is an endeavor to capture and share those moments.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

An introduction and insight.


The purpose of this blog is to capture every day moments, immortalizing them and appreciating them so that I never fail to find the beauty and create meaning in my life. One of my greatest strengths is the ability to find wonder in all things. I understand that my perspective is how I view the world and that consequently, shapes my reality. Or as Ralph Waldo Emerson puts it "I know I'm not seeing things as they are, I'm seeing things as I am.”My audience is unclear to me. Perhaps I will write for my own enjoyment, piecing together words in a way that pleases me, attempting to express the ordinary in a way that shows it is quite extraordinary when taken advantage of. I suppose it is a diary of sorts then as it is focused on my life and my perspective as I experience these moments. I fear it will become narcissistic but hope it will detail aspects of the human condition to inspire others to realize their power to design and construct the life they want to live as they examine the ofttimes considered mundane experiences in life and see not bland days or hours but to find potential in everything.

*A note of explanation about the word habitué. The definition suggests that it includes a physical locale: One who frequents a particular place, especially a place offering a specific pleasurable activity. And while I have many familiar and nostalgic locations already known and new and remarkable nooks awaiting, it is meant more as a mindset. A constant approach of a person focused on enjoying and appreciating life.

It is when you look around and feel that is all is right in the world. Not globally or even locally but here, in this moment, you are truly happy. One of my favourite quotes that I live by is Kurt Vonnegut's "I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.'" Those captivating moments where the dynamic is just right. Some of my most cherished memories that capture this magical feeling include late nights around the campfire and lengthy dinners with good company that extend well into the night...

It is long after the battle to cook the best smores when I shift around uncomfortably in my seat, repositioning my weight in order to assuage whatever part of my body is falling asleep or has gone numb. I adjust how close I am to the fire as my legs grow unbearably hot. I wrap the throw blanket closer around my body though because there is a chill in the early morning air. I have been sitting here for many hours listening to the familiar stories that everyone knows but loves to hear so they let the storyteller go on. I regale my companions with my own version of events as they boisterously interrupt and we playfully banter over how it really happened. A night full of unending laughter-you know the kind where you are doubled over with tears streaming down your face. Conversation often moves onto the meaning of life, which seems to be the preferred topic of choice after 2 am. It is then that I look up into the captivating night sky, so dark against the brilliant stars and fight the temptation to move out of fear of breaking the spell of the moment. I drink in what I am feeling and go through my senses. I can hear the soothing, crackling of the fire and comforting voices familiar as my own. I can simultaneously feel the heat from the fire and the chill of the night air. I can see the still lake water lit up by the moon. I can smell the fresh air far from home and I'm probably munching on some leftover chocolate. I make a conscious effort to catch the moment so I can recall in vivid detail the treasured memory at a later date.

Someone must rise first to go to bed but it never has been nor will it ever be me. I revel too much in the dynamic of our personalities, as they effortlessly demonstrate exactly why we have been so dear to each other over the years. This is a celebration and I would rather go without sleep. Those are the moments I live for.

No comments:

Post a Comment